Colder weather is coming, and with it cold and flu season. Not only can catching a bug put you out of commission for a few days, it can lead to complications in some cases. But, in your senior housing community and around town there are things you can do to help minimize the risk of getting sick.
Tips for Keeping Cold and Flu Bugs at Bay
As a leading senior housing provider, we know from experience that you can use these simple strategies to stay healthy this cold and flu season:
- Get a flu shot. While every elder’s health situation is unique, for most people a flu shot is a good idea. Not only does it protect you, it keeps you from being a carrier that can infect others. Talk with your doctor about whether you should get the shot.
- Avoid contact with sick people. Although you may want to hug and kiss your loved ones, refrain from doing so if they are sick. They will understand!
- Wash your hands frequently. By doing a good job of removing germs from your hands, you increase your odds of steering clear of illness.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. These areas are the primary pathways that germs enter our body. If you have germs on your hand and you rub your eyes, you may be introducing pathogens into your system.
- Try not to inhale pathogens. When walking near others who are sick and coughing or sneezing, let out a long, slow exhale as you pass them if you can to keep from inhaling their germs.
- Consume protein. Protein plays an important role in supporting your immune system. Be sure you are getting plenty of it in your diet.
- Get enough sleep. When we don’t get enough sleep, our body struggles to deal effectively with germs. Ideally you should be getting eight hours or more.
- Clean shopping cart handles, etc. The surfaces we encounter when out in public are often covered in germs from others. Use disinfecting wipes to clean shopping cart handles and other surfaces when you can. Some people will also carry their own pen to use when signing checks.
Staying Healthy all Winter Long
At the Green House Homes at Mirasol senior living community in Fort Collins, we do all we can to help our elders avoid illness all year long, and especially during cold and flu season. It’s a collaborative effort, and one that pays off with better health and happiness!
November/08/2017 | News