For many elders, the most appreciated holiday present is the gift of time spent with loved ones. While that can mean simply sharing a meal and some “catch up” time at their elder care community, there are many festive holiday activities that families can enjoy together. That includes physical pursuits like walking and cooking as well as activities better suited to those with mobility challenges like storytelling and listening to music. However you choose to spend time with an elder, you can be sure it is appreciated.
Try These Fun Holiday Activities With Your Favorite Elder
Looking to share some holiday joy with a senior in your life? Here’s a list of great ways to connect:
- Help them decorate their living space. Whether they live in an elder care community or in some other setting, seniors love to “deck the halls.” Lending a hand makes it easier for them to get into the holiday spirit and gives them a chance to reflect on some of their favorite decorations.
- Sing their favorite holiday tunes. Many elders love to raise their voice in song. Make a list of the person’s favorite carols and get a copy you can play on your smartphone or tablet. They may enjoy the singalong even more if you are able to find the “classic” recordings of their favorite songs.
- Make holiday cookies. The feel of the dough, the smell of the baking treats and the sense of pride after decorating a batch can bring back very fond memories for an elder.
- Have a gift wrapping party. Whether you help them wrap gifts they have purchased or they help you with yours, there’s nothing like a shared task to bring people together.
- Walk the mall. Malls are very festive places around the holidays. Find a low-traffic time and enjoy a walk around one to admire the decorations.
- Help them prepare their holiday cards. Elders often want to send out cards but the process can be time-consuming and tiring. Crank up the holiday tunes and assist them in getting their cards organized, sealed and addressed so all they have to do is sign and jot a quick note.
- Enjoy a “movie night” together. Pick one of their favorite holiday classics, pop some popcorn, get out some blankets and pillows, and cuddle up in front of the TV.
- Take a holiday lights drive. Scout out some local areas where businesses or homeowners are putting on exceptional holiday light displays. Then, put some hot chocolate in a “to go” mug, get comfortable in the car and take a tour.
Happy Holidays from a Northern Colorado Leader in Elder Care!
At Greenhouse Homes at Mirasol, a unique elder care community in Northern Colorado, we know that the time elders get to spend with family and friends is a most precious gift. We wish you the happiest of holidays with your loved ones!
December/11/2018 | News