For most seniors, there are multiple options when it comes to their living situation. These might include remaining in their home, moving in with family members, or living in a skilled nursing facility. While each has its pluses, there are a number of compelling benefits associated with joining other elders in a shared living environment where skilled nursing care is available.
Why a Skilled Nursing Facility Makes Sense for Many Elders
Are you considering a move to a skilled nursing facility (for yourself or a loved one)? If so, here are just some of the many benefits:
- Rapid access to healthcare services. With a skilled care provider onsite, you can be assured that you’ll get prompt attention for your medical needs. And, you’ll be receiving it in the comfort of your own home.
- Guidance on diet and nutrition. As we age, our nutritional needs change. The caregivers at a skilled nursing facility can work with the meal preparation team to ensure that you are getting the kinds and quantities of food you need to stay energized and healthy.
- Insights on physical activity.A trained caregiver who interacts with you regularly can be an excellent source of input on how much and what kinds of physical activity are best for you given your medical history and current health status.
- Encouragement to stay social.Interacting regularly with other elders is the best way to keep your mind engaged and active. Consequently, if you start cutting back on those interactions for any reason, the care team at a skilled nursing facility will remind you of that fact. And, they’ll also encourage you to spend time with your peers, and provide any help you need to do so.
- Assistance with daily living tasks.Caregivers at a skilled nursing facility can help you with tasks that may become more difficult as you age.
- Sense of security.Even if you don’t often or ever require assistance from a nurse, it’s reassuring (both to an elder and their family) to know that a care provider is available if you need them, and that they are keeping an eye on any changes in your health status.
Support and Satisfaction
Green House Homes at Mirasol is a skilled nursing facility in Loveland, Colorado. Our unique style of care provides residents with the effective and compassionate medical assistance. And it’s provided in an environment where elders are encouraged to be valuable contributors to the success of the home. It’s this combination of support, independence, and responsibility that produces powerful peace of mind and a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction.
November/28/2017 | News